Welcome to Temple Shaaray Tefila’s Religious School
Mission of the Temple Shaaray Tefila Religious School: We strive to help students love being Jewish. Our teachers are role models who show our students what it means to feel special and valued in our community. We believe that children who feel loved at synagogue will grow up to be adults who are drawn to places where Jewish learning and living happen, that they will find joy in the ebb and flow of Jewish holidays, comfort in Jewish spaces when they are in need, and will approach the possibility of raising a Jewish family with intentionality and excitement.
Supporting Our Mission
- We understand that Religious School is a long term investment in the legacy of your Jewish family. This cannot be measured in charts and tables, or prayers memorized and recited, but rather, in the hearts of our students and in the Jewish life of their family.
- We aim to use the rich and beautiful history and culture of our people to foster a sense of community and belonging,
- We strive to raise young Jewish students who are excited to keep learning and who can’t fathom their lives separately from their Jewish identity.
- We hope to instill an understanding that kindness, patience, grace, and service to others is living Jewishly and that their leadership will frame the next era of synagogue life in America.
- We work tirelessly to ensure that our school is a safe place for our children, so that when they are in need they will find meaning, hope, trust and love in our holy community.
What does this look like?
- Joy in Judaism
- Confidence in how to participate in Jewish life: Holidays, Torah, Hebrew, Israel, History, Prayer and more.
- Comfort in the stories of our past
- Teachers and Teen TA’s who are Role Models
- “Temple” friends, to walk through Jewish life with and celebrate milestones together.
- Tikkun Olam, making the world a better place through giving Tzedakah, teaching about social justice issues and how to take action
- Project Based Learning: infused in each grade to make each class meaningful and personal.
For the 2021-2022 school year, we are excited to announce new timing, session days and curriculum that respond to the needs of our community. Additionally, we plan to offer our programs both in-person and online. We know that the wisdom of Judaism has the power to support us and our children during this transition from a completely virtual school in 2020-2021 to a vibrant in person program, with more community-wide events, opportunities for family learning, and exciting in-person learning on Sundays for grades Pre-K-6th Grade, Monday evenings for 7-12th grade, and online small group Hebrew mid-week for our 3rd-6th grade students.
Students may enroll in one of two options for children in Kindergarten through 6th Grade – either an in person program weekly on Sunday Mornings from 9am-11:30am with a 30 minute online midweek small group Hebrew lesson for 3rd-6th graders or a virtual grade level 90 minute Judaics program midweek and and a 30 minute online midweek small group Hebrew lesson. Our seventh grade students will attend Monday evenings in person each week, with separate Bar/Bat Mitzvah preparation tutoring arranged through the B’nei Mitzvah coordinator.
To reap all the benefits of our multifaceted program, we encourage parents to enroll children in Kindergarten through 12th Grade, but we welcome students at any point in their Jewish journeys. We offer an introductory monthly PreK program open to current members and families who are not yet members of Temple Shaaray Tefila for those interested in experiencing a taste of our school.
Please do not hesitate to call us in the Religious School office at 212-535-0912 if you have any questions. We look forward to getting to know you, and developing relationships with each of you during the year.