We are excited to welcome you to Temple Shaaray Tefila!
About Our Community
Where we are
You can find us at the southwest corner of 79th Street and 2nd Ave in the heart of New York City's Upper East Side. FUN FACT: Our building, which has served as our spiritual home since 1958, used to be a movie theater!
Who we are
We're a bit of a paradox - an intimate neighborhood shul with over 1000 member families. We strive to provide opportunities for our congregants to actively seek meaning, connection, and purpose.
What we are
A proud member of the Reform Movement, we are a progressive Jewish congregation with a rich 170+ year history.
I would like to take a tour or speak with someone to learn more?
If you are interested in a tour, or would like to set up an appointment to speak with someone from membership, please email [email protected]rg or call Nadia Etienne, Manager of Membership Administration, at 212-535-8008 ext. 222.
Tell me about your membership dues?
Our membership year runs from July 1 to June 30. Learn more about our Membership Dues »
What is Enhanced Membership?
Those who are able, can express their generosity and commitment to Shaaray Tefila by joining at or increasing to Enhanced Membership levels. Enhanced Membership offers exclusive benefits including intimate opportunities to engage with clergy, reserved section seating during the High Holy Days, and other social gatherings.
Learn more about the levels and benefits of Enhanced Membership »
If you have more questions, please contact Anna Stein, Director of Development, at [email protected] for more information.
Are High Holy Days Tickets included in my membership?
As part of your membership, you receive tickets for High Holy Day Services for all members listed on your account which includes children up to age 26. Additional Guest Tickets may be purchased separately.
What are the benefits of membership?
We are proud to serve as a spiritual home for our members and strive to provide pasths to meaning, connection and purpose along your Jewish journey. Our community’s strength is derived from the individuals who comprise it, and we look forward to being strengthened by your presence.
- Access to clergy for pastoral care
- Attend High Holy Day Member Services
- Enroll your children in our Nursery School or K-12 Religious School
- Hold lifecycle events in our Sanctuary
- Rent synagogue spaces for a bris or baby naming • Learn more about our space »
- Remember your loved ones by adding their names to the synagogue Yahrzeit list
- Study regularly with our clergy (twice-weekly torah study)
- Participate in members-only social and communal events
- Join committees that help connect and engage our community
- Receive synagogue publications and communications from our clergy
- Rent synagogue spaces for celebrations, meetings, and parties
- Participate in community-wide Mitzvah days
- Engage in acts of loving kindness, participating in one of our many direct service volunteer opportunities,, and extending care to members of our community in need
- Get involved in community organizing to further social justice in our community and in our world
Ready to become a member?
Please Note: After completing this form, you will receive a bill within 7 business days for payment of membership dues. Your membership becomes activated when payment is received.