- This event has passed.
MLK Day of Service
Monday, January 17 @11:00am-1:00pm
Join us for these opportunities to honor Dr. King by helping to make New York City better for children and adults. To participate, please drop off items at the synagogue between 11:00am and 1:00pm:
1. Make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches at home. Use at least one whole loaf of whole wheat or multigrain bread, and please make sandwiches while wearing gloves.
2. Buy and donate NEW adult winter socks and adult underwear for homeless men and women (any amount).
Underwear: Size Large Briefs (for men), Size Large (for women)
Socks: Crew (not knee highs) for both men and women
3. Compost food for Bunny’s Garden in East Harlem. Collect composting materials in gallon freezer bags. Please note, we can only accept VEGETABLES, FRUIT, EGGSHELLS, COFFEE, TEA, and NUTS.
4. Buy and donate new hats, scarves, mittens for kids (any amount).
5. Donate Fresh Direct bags.
6. Donate canned goods.
For questions and further information, please contact Carol Crossen.
The Freedom to Vote: Our Work Continues in 2022!
Come to the tent on 79th Street on MLK Day between 11:00am-1:00pm.
The Shaaray Tefila Civic Engagement Task Force begins our 2022 campaign with a postcard mailing event on MLK Day.
a. Pick-up a packet of 30 postcards, addresses, and labels to send to black registered voters in Texas, urging them to vote in the upcoming primary election on March 1.
b. Sign-up to receive postcards to be sent to your home – contact Carol Crossen
c. Join us at our Postcard Writing Table inside the tent to write postcards for this campaign.
We are also joining the Religious Action Center (RAC) and over 80 other organizations in the fight for VOTING RIGHTS LEGISLATION to protect and strengthen the sacred right to vote.
a. We must urge Majority Leader Schumer to keep his promise to address the FREEDOM TO VOTE ACT and JOHN LEWIS VOTING RIGHTS ADVANCEMENT ACT when the Senate opens from their recess. Send a message to Senator Schumer »
b. Sign the petition to urge President Biden to compel the Senate to reform the filibuster and pass voting rights protection.